Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Welcome to the Frequently Asked Questions section of Cornerstone International Community College of Canada (Cornerstone College). Here you will find the most common questions that our learners have when thinking about joining Cornerstone College.

1. Where is Cornerstone College located?

The official name of Cornerstone College is “Cornerstone International Community College of Canada” and it has two campuses, located in the centre of Vancouver, British Columbia on the West Coast of Canada. Cornerstone College is a private institution and had been operating in the education industry for 40 years.

2. Where can I find references for Cornerstone College?

There are two helpful websites. The first is the federal government’s website that compiles the list of colleges and universities across Canada, where registered persons can obtain a student permit. The federal government assigns a registration number or Designated Learning Institution (DLI) to each institution. Remember to use the drop-down menu to search for British Columbia and then type “Cornerstone” to find the college’s DLI.

The second website is the government of the province of British Columbia:

3. What programs do Cornerstone offer?

We have six study & work diplomas:

  • Hospitality Management
  • International Business Management
  • Web and Mobile Apps Development.
  • Digital Marketing
  • Customer Relations
  • Network and System Solutions

We also have English as a Second Language programs.

4. Is it possible to work while studying English?

No. In Canada, language classes (English, French or any other) do not grant the possibility of a work permit.

5. How is the admission process/how do I register to Cornerstone?

The first step is to determine the program and the date you want to start classes. Then you must complete the online application form and attach a copy of your passport. At the same time, we need to know your current level of English to decide if you meet the admission requirements for your chosen program.

Assuming your level of English is adequate, we will send you an invoice so that you can proceed to make the first payment. Maximum 48 hours after receiving the payment, the College will send you a letter of acceptance. With the letter, you can start the second process, which is the application for a student and/or work permit at the nearest Canadian Embassy.

6. Does the college provide advice on the study permit application process?

We can guide you through the process; advising the type of permit you need, processing time and where to find the official information. If you tell us about your case, we can advise you and determine if you would need legal representation.

7. How does the college help students to find jobs?

Although finding employment for the co-op portion is student’s responsibility, the College supports students in topics such as: writing a Canadian resume, preparation of cover letter, talking to employers, how to apply, etc.

In addition, we have monthly workshops about how job interviews are like, where to look for jobs and what the Canadian work culture is like. In the same way, we have a job bank because companies know that we always have students looking for jobs. The college is often the connection between these companies and the students.

8. How much money can I earn during my studies and during co-op?

The salary depends on the company, the type of job, and previous work experience and studies. Generally, the more education and professional experience that someone has, the higher the wage can be. Earning the minimum wage during the academic period, students typically make between $ 900 and $ 1,000 Canadian dollars per month. During the co-op period, students can earn between $ 1800 and $ 2000 Canadian dollars per month.

9. Is there any age limit to enroll at Cornerstone?

The minimum age to participate in the English programs is 16 years old, however, we do not have an age limit. At Cornerstone College age is not a limitation if want to learn English. For Diploma programs, the minimum age is 18 years old or high school graduates. There is no age limit for our diploma programs either. We have had students in their 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s and it has not been a limitation for them to learn.

10. What additional expenses should I be aware of?

Accommodation starts from $ 800 CAD per month, but it depends a lot on the option you choose. In Cornerstone you can find some suggestions here

3 months of health insurance that you can arrange through the college costs around $ 186 CAD (counting that the month has 31 days). The price per day is $ 2.00 CAD.

The province’s health insurance costs $ 75 CAD per month. People who will be living in British Columbia for more than 6 months are eligible for province insurance. you can read more about health insurance here

The monthly transportation pass starts at $ 98 CAD. The farther away the accommodation is the more expensive the monthly pass.

Utilities are generally included in the monthly rent.

You can spend around $ 400 CAD per month on meals if your accommodation option does not include them.

11. Can I travel with my family if I study at Cornerstone?

Although we have had students traveling with spouse and children, it depends on each case and the College cannot guarantee it. Keep in mind that including family in your study permit application implies that you must demonstrate more savings to the Canadian government. Only public and private colleges/ universities that grant degrees (bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate), can guarantee you to obtain a permit for your spouse.

12. What happens if my study permit is refused by the Canadian government?

If your study visa is denied, you have the option to reapply for the study and/or work permit by improving the application. The Canadian government sends a letter stating why the visa was not approved. The College can send you a new letter of acceptance with an updated date (if applicable), you must send us the visa denial letter that the Embassy of Canada gives you. If you wish not to reapply for the study and/or work permit, you have the option of requesting a refund. In the same way, you must send us the visa refusal letter so that the accountant can calculate the refund. In general, the value of the application fee plus $ 80 CAD administrative fee would be lost. All refunds are processed within 30 days of signing the refund calculation.

13. What happens after I complete my studies at Cornerstone College?

These are three scenarios that generally apply to our students upon graduation.

1) They enroll to other school/university to obtain an academic degree (master’s degree, bachelor’s degree), most of the time to a  public institution because it is easier to access being already physically in Canada and because after 1 or 2 years of studying and/or working in Canada, their level of English usually meets or exceeds the language requirement of public universities.

2) They find a company or employer that decides to support them in their immigration application with the Canadian government.

3) They return to their country of origin due to various reasons such as: having projects to fulfill, returning to their family, or simply because they decided not to settle in Vancouver/Canada.

14. How can I become a Permanent Resident of Canada?

Becoming a permanent resident of Canada is a complex topic. Generally, no academic program can guarantee permanent resident status because it depends on factors such as: age, previous studies, work experience, proficiency in English and/or French, travel history, if you have a job offer in Canada at the time of application, among other things.

You can visit this website to learn more about current immigration programs:

15. Can my children go to public schools while I study at Cornerstone?

In order for your minor dependents to access public school, you must have:

  • A study permit for at least one year and a part-time job (20 hrs per week).
  • If you are coming with your spouse, he or she must also have a study or work permit of at least one year and a part-time job.

They must also comply with registration dates and other guidelines established by each public school.

We recommend that you read the information contained in the following link:

16. What is the minimum wage in Vancouver?

The minimum wage in the Province of British Columbia is $ 15.25 CAD per hour.